Friday, June 12, 2009

The Idiosyncrasies of Time

WOW, here we are and June is half over with, and July is just around the corner. This also means that the year 2009 is half over. Where does Time go? When this came to mind the other day I started thinking of all the ways we use not only Time but the word “Time”.

“You have too much Time on your hands” – How many times have we all heard this one? It seems that when I hear this phrase is when I have been working on something very diligently and constructively, and someone comes along and does not appreciate the importance of the project and the skill one must have to complete it. My only thought is that they are just jealous and they would really like the Time to do it themselves.

“Time just ran out” – I have used this one a few times. Here again we make it sound like Time is the problem. We usually use this one when we failed to complete something that was supposed to have been done. Funny how it is Time’s problem and not the fact that maybe we just didn’t plan well and allow enough Time to complete. We also may not have started the project on Time.

“I didn’t have enough Time” – Here again someone didn’t give us enough Time so we could finish what we were doing. Please see above for the real problem here and the resolution for it.

“I wish I had more Time” – Why should Time be left out of all of the things that we would like more of. When we use this do we really think of what we are saying? There are only 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, and 24 hours in a day. We get this each and every day. It is all there is to hand out. It is all we or anybody ever gets. What do we really mean by this? Here again I think the problem is poor Time management on our part.

“If I could just put Time in a bottle” – This reminds me of an old Jim Croce song, “Time In A Bottle”. Wouldn’t we all like to be able to do what he suggests in the song. For just a moment lets say you can have this power. What Time would you save? Keep in mind the bottle is only so big. When you come up with your answer, maybe you should just spend more Time doing that.

“You can do it in your spare Time” – Here again is another phrase in our wonderful English language that doesn’t make sense. When looking at all of the above phrases, is Time something we have extra of or spare? Why do we run out of it then? Why do we want to save it? Why don’t we just use our spare Time? I guess spare Time is just something else we don’t have enough of.

“Time heals all” – Here is a statement where we are giving Time the power to do something. Here again it isn’t really Time that is doing the healing. It is asking for forgiveness. It is saying your sorry. It is saying “I love you”. I think you are getting my drift here. Now as Time passes without doing these, is Time doing the healing?, or does the person’s hurt just become less severe. I don’t think this is the way to heal anything.

“You just have to make Time” – Now wouldn’t this be great! We would always have as much Time as we needed. Here again though I think the meaning behind this saying, is to schedule and plan better. As I said before we only have a certain amount of time and we need to make the best of it.

“My how Time flies” – Well no wonder we can’t find Time. It flew away. Now where did it go? I guess we will have to make Time.

“Time is money” – Wow, if this was really true and we could make Time, I guess we would have plenty of money. Course these is always the possibility that it would run out.

“The two most powerful warriors are patience and Time.”-Leo Tolstoy- What does he mean by this? I think we all can figure out patience but what does he mean by Time being a warrior. Maybe he is talking about how we use our Time, what we do with it. Or maybe he just wants us to think about it.

“Time is of the essence” – Now of all the one liners used here this is the first one that really makes sense. Time is very important! We just need to remember that. Once Time is gone it can’t be retrieved.

Well my Time has about ran out for this Blog. I will close with a quote from an unknown author. It goes along with the fact that there are only 24 hours in a day and it is up to us how we spend them. Think if this when you rise each morning.

“This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind….let it be something good.”

“Life Is Good If You Let It”

5 comments:

Steve at Random said...

Clever thoughts...here's another from my history bag of musty sayings: "Time flies like the wind but fruit flies like bananas."

AZJim said...

Darn, Hadn't heard that one before!

randymeiss said...

A very enjoyable read. I can relate to all of them but the first one. "I have too much time on my hands." I don't ever have the luxury of saying this. But perhaps, like you say, this is because I either need to better job of time management or else stop biting off more commitments than I can chew.

I love the "Time in a bottle" song. It was one of our homework assignments in Bill Franke's guitar class.

AZJim said...

WOW! Do you remember how to play it. That is one of my favorites too.

randymeiss said...

My dearest Father, I not only remember how to play it, I've got the sheet music with the easy guitar chords. You will have your very own personal copy waiting for you when you come to ND for our Canada Fishing trip. It does NOT include the fancy picking that occurs at the beginning of the song. For that you would have to talk with Mr. Franke. I could play it in High School, but do not have the foggiest how to play it now.

In addition to this, you may also look through my book. I'm sure you will find many, many, many songs you want. I would be happy to scan them to .PDF and email them to you as time permits :)

I am STOKED about the fishing coming up!